Long service leave claims

Paying long service leave under the Industrial Relations Act 2016
Workers, who are employed by the same employer for ten or more continuous years, may be entitled to long service leave paid by the employer under the Industrial Relations Act 2016. The portable long service leave scheme does not replace an employer's obligation to pay long service leave to their worker/s.

Claiming reimbursement from QLeave for long service leave paid to a worker
QLeave may reimburse you for some, or all, of the payment you make to the worker. You must lodge your claim for reimbursement to QLeave within three months of the day you paid long service leave to the worker. The payment is calculated in accordance with the legislation and is based on the wages declared for the individual worker.

To ensure the employer receives the maximum amount reimbursed, they need to include an Employer Return detailing service in the most recent quarter and the levy payment for the worker up to the date of leave, especially if the worker is retiring or resigning from the company.

Employers can apply for reimbursement by completing an Employer Claim form. Contact QLeave on 1800 675 819 if you would like a hardcopy posted to you.

In order for an employer reimbursement to be processed, proof is required that the long service leave payment has been made to the worker. A copy of the pay-slip indicating long service leave paid or an extract from the payroll system confirming payment should be attached to the claim form.

Last modified: October 2017